How I Reached 500+ MAU Without a Big Marketing Budget
When I started marketing my apps, I didn’t have a big advertising budget or a complicated growth strategy.
Instead of waiting for people to discover my apps through social media, I went directly to places where potential users already were — my college, hackathons, tech communities, WhatsApp groups, and my existing network.
My approach was simple:
Find the right people → show them the app → let them try it → listen to their feedback → encourage them to share it if they find it useful.
That approach helped me reach 500+ monthly active users without relying heavily on paid promotion.
What I Actually Did
1. Start with the people around you
College was one of the easiest places for me to start.
I already had access to students and people I could talk to directly, so I didn’t need to spend money just to get the first few users.
Instead of simply sending someone an app link, I would explain what the app was built for, show them how it worked, and ask them to try it.
Those early conversations were useful for two reasons: I could get users, but I could also immediately see what confused them and what needed to be improved.
I also shared the apps through college-related and WhatsApp groups I was already part of. If someone found an app useful, I encouraged them to share it with friends or classmates who might benefit from it too.
The biggest lesson was that you don’t need thousands of users at the beginning.
Start with a small group of relevant people you can actually reach and talk to.
2. Go where your target users already are
After college, I started looking at hackathons.
Hackathons were useful because the people there were already interested in technology, building projects, and trying new tools. I didn’t have to convince a completely random audience to care about what I was building.
I reached out to organizers and looked for opportunities to introduce my apps to participants.
At one hackathon, I sponsored a Codex subscription as a prize.
It wasn’t a huge sponsorship, but it gave me an opportunity to support the event and introduce my apps to a group of developers and builders who were already relevant to what I was doing.
That changed the way I thought about marketing.
Marketing doesn’t always mean buying ads. Sometimes a small, targeted opportunity inside the right community can be much more valuable.
3. Don’t just drop a link in a community
I later started applying the same approach to tech communities.
One thing I learned quickly was that simply dropping an app link into a group wasn’t very effective.
People see links all the time. If they don’t immediately understand what your app does or why it matters to them, they may just scroll past it.
So instead, I started with the problem.
I would explain what the app was built to solve, show people how it worked, and let them try it themselves.
If they liked it, I would ask for feedback and encourage them to share it with someone else who might find it useful.
Over time, community marketing became more than just a way to get users. It also helped me understand the product better and improve it based on real conversations.
What Worked — and What Didn’t
For me, direct outreach worked much better than simply posting links online.
College was one of the easiest ways to get the first users because I already had access to people around me.
Hackathons and tech communities also worked well because the audience was already interested in technology and new tools.
I also used my existing network and asked people I knew to share the apps with relevant groups.
On the other hand, promoting my apps on X didn’t work as well for me. I posted about them, but I didn’t see the same response I got from direct conversations.
The biggest difference was personal interaction.
When I could explain the app, show how it worked, answer questions, and get feedback immediately, people had a much clearer reason to try it.
If I had limited time and budget, I would still prioritize the people and communities I could reach directly, and use social media as an additional channel rather than depending on it as my main source of users.
The Playbook You Can Copy
Looking back, my marketing path was actually pretty simple:
Start with people around you
→ Find relevant student or developer communities
→ Join hackathons or meetups
→ Show the app
→ Let people try it
→ Collect feedback
→ Ask happy users to share
→ Move into the next community
You don’t need a huge audience to start.
Your college, friends, local developer groups, hackathons, meetups, WhatsApp groups, and existing network can already be enough to find your first users and build momentum.
If I Started Again Today
If I launched a completely new app with zero users today, I wouldn’t focus on reaching thousands of people immediately.
I would first find a small group of people who actually have the problem my app is trying to solve.
I would show them the product, let them use it, listen to their feedback, and improve it.
Then I would ask the people who genuinely found it useful to share it with someone else who might have the same problem.
I would still use social media, but I wouldn’t depend on it as my only strategy.
For an early-stage Builder, the first goal isn’t to look like a big company. It’s to find the right first users, understand them, and build from there.
My biggest lesson was simple:
Don’t always wait for users to discover your app. Go where they are, talk to them, and show them what you’ve built.